PET SHOW PHOTO CONTEST 2013
PHOTO SUBMISSION PERIOD
The photo submission period for the Pet Show Photo Contest 2012(the “Contest”) begins at
9:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on June 28, 2013 and ends at 5:00 p.m. ET on
July 8, 2013 (the “Submission Period”).
The following publications are participating in this Contest (the “Publication” or “Publications”):
The Holland Sentinel
The Contest is open only to legal residents of the United States who are eighteen (18) years of
age or older at the time of entry and who reside within fifty (50) miles of the circulation area of
the Publications (the “Entrant” or “Entrants”). Employees, contractors and interns of GateHouse
Media, Inc. (“GateHouse Media”), and the businesses appearing on this page (the “Sponsors”),
and each of their respective divisions, affiliates, parent companies, subsidiaries, advertising
and promotion agencies (including, in each case, immediate family members) are not eligible
to enter the Contest. For purposes of this Contest, “immediate family members” is defined as
spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents and grandchildren, whether as "in-laws", or
by current or past marriage, remarriage, adoption, co-habitation or other familial extension, and
any other persons residing at the same household location, whether or not related. In order to
enter the Contest or win the prize, the Entrant must comply fully with these official rules (the
“Official Rules”), and by entering agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of
GateHouse Media, whose decisions shall be binding and final in all respects.
HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST AND SUBMIT A PHOTO; ENTRY FEE
The entry fee for the Contest (the "Entry Fee") is $10.00 (debit or credit card or check or cash). 25% will be donated to the local humane societies for both Ottawa and Allegan counties.
There are two (2) ways to enter the Contest:
Entrants should log on to www.hollandsentinel.com (the "Website") during the Submission Period and complete the applicable registration form. Entrants must provide all requested information in the required fields, pay the Entry Fee and upload a photo (the "Photo" or "Photos") as instructed on the Website. Entrants should then click "submit" to be entered in the Contest (the "Online Entry" or "Online Entries").
The entry form for the Contest (the "Entry Form") is available in the Publication or at the offices of the Publication beginning June 28, 2013.
The Entry Fee, the completed Entry Form and the Photo (together, the "Print Entry Materials") should be submitted to the offices of the Publication one of the following two (2) ways:
1. Postal Mail: Entrants should mail the Print Entry Materials to the following address: The Holland Sentinel, ATTN: Pet Photo Contest, 54 W. 8th Street, Holland MI 49423. For Print Entry Materials submitted through postal mail, the only acceptable method of payment of the Entry Fee is a check. Credit card information and cash should not be sent through postal mail, and GateHouse Media will not be responsible for the security and receipt of cash or credit card information sent this way.
2. Hand-Deliver: Entrants should hand-deliver the Print Entry Materials to the Publication located at 54 W. 8th Street in Holland, MI. The offices of the Publication are open Monday through Friday, 8:00a.m. until 5:00p.m. EST, and closed on Saturday and Sunday.
ALL ONLINE ENTRIES AND PRINT ENTRY MATERIALS (TOGETHER THE "ENTRY" OR ENTRIES") MUST BE RECEIVED AT THE OFFICES OF THE PUBLICATION BY 5:00 ET ON JUNE 18, 2012 (THE "SUBMISSION DEADLINE"). NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS TIME.
Photos will not be returned to the Entrant.
Entries for the Contest will not be accepted through e-mail or via facsimile.
GateHouse Media will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, postage due, misdirected or illegible entries and will not be responsible for credit card information or cash sent through the postal mail.
1. The object of the Contest is to showcase to the Publication audience a cute pet Photo. There is no limit to the number of pets that may be included in the Photo.
2. Photos must be of living pets only. If human subjects appear in the Photo, upon GateHouse Media’s request, the Entrant must be prepared to provide, within seven (7) calendar days of receipt of GateHouse Media’s request, a signed release (the "Release") from all persons who appear in the Photo submitted. Failure to provide such Release upon request may result in disqualification of the Entrant at any time during the Contest Period.
3. The Entrant must be the owner of the Photo, or otherwise have the right to submit the Photo for consideration in the Contest (the "Consent"). The Entrant will be required to submit the Consent to GateHouse Media upon request.
4. Professional photos will be accepted. When submitting professional photos, a copyright release from the photographer (the "Copyright Release") must be submitted to GateHouse Media upon request. If the Photo contains any material or elements that are not owned by the Entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, the Entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the Photo, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the Photo in the manner set forth in these Rules without additional compensation. The Entrant will be required to submit copies of any releases and consents to GateHouse Media upon request.
5. The Photo must be in natural color or black and white. Sepia tone and duotone Photos are not acceptable. Photos that have been altered, manipulated or enhanced using computer software programs will not be accepted. Minor adjustments to the Photo such as lightening or darkening areas of the Photo, slight contrast or color adjustments and cropping are acceptable. If GateHouse Media determines a Photo has been altered, manipulated or enhanced, GateHouse Media reserves the right to disqualify the Photo.
6. The Photo must not be under consideration for prizes or publication elsewhere.
7. The Photo must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of GateHouse Media, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content (collectively, "Inappropriate Content"). Any image that shows an animal being stressed, inappropriately handled or treated or in danger will be disqualified. GateHouse Media retains sole discretion as to what constitutes Inappropriate Content.
8. All Photos become the property of GateHouse Media and may be used by GateHouse for marketing or any other commercial purpose, whether or not judging or voting was conducted or prizes were awarded in this Contest. The Photos will not be returned to the Entrant.
9. Entrants are limited to one (1) entry in this Contest.
10. There must be at least two (2) Photos submitted by July 8, 2013 (the "Submission Deadline") for the Contest to continue. If the required number of Photos are not submitted by the Submission Deadline, no voting will occur, and prizes will not be awarded. GateHouse Media reserves the right to cancel the Contest and return the Entry Fee to the Entrant if the required number of Photos is not received by the Submission Deadline.
Each Photo submitted to the Publication must be approved for posting on the Website by staff of the Publication. Only those Photos that are approved for posting by GateHouse Media will be deemed eligible to win the Contest.
INITIAL VOTING PHASE
All Photos submitted during the Submission Period and approved by the staff of the Publication will appear on the Website beginning June 28, 2013. Members of the general public will be invited to view the Photos beginning at 12:00 a.m. EST on June 28, 2013 and ending at 11:59 p.m. EST on July 15, 2013 (the "Initial Voting Phase") and vote for their favorite Photo (the "Vote" or "Votes"). Voting ballots will also be available at the Publication’s office during regular business hours. The ten (10) Photos to receive the highest number of Votes during the Initial Voting Phase will be declared the finalists (the "Finalist" or "Finalists"). In the event of a tie for 10th place, a random drawing among the Photos tied for 10th place will be conducted at the offices of the Publication to determine the 10th place Finalist.
FINAL VOTING PHASE
Members of the general public will be invited to view the Finalists by going to the Website beginning at 12:00 a.m. EST on July 9, 2013 and ending at 11:59 p.m. EST on July 15, 2013 (the "Final Voting Phase"), and submit their Votes for their favorite Photo. Voting ballots will also be available at the Publication’s office during regular business hours. Each ballot is counted as one (1) Vote.
There is no fee to Vote in this Contest. Voting is limited to persons eighteen (18) years of age or older (the "Voter" or "Voters").
Voting results for the Initial Voting Phase and the Final Voting Phase will be displayed on the Website, except during the last forty-eight (48) hours of each of these voting phases.
GateHouse Media will not be responsible for misdirected Votes. The use of robotic or automatic devices to submit Votes is prohibited and GateHouse Media reserves the right to nullify any and all such Votes and to disqualify the responsible individual from voting. Entrants are prohibited from obtaining Votes by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including, without limitation, offering prizes or other inducements to members of the public, as determined by GateHouse Media in its sole discretion.
For purposes of this Contest, the Vote must be cast on the Website by a "unique" Voter. A "unique" Voter is an individual person: (a) who has registered to vote on the Website, (b) with unique registration information (i.e. e-mail address) that is not duplicative of another Voter’s information. A unique Voter may vote no more than ten (10) times per day for a Photo. If GateHouse Media determines, in its sole discretion, that an abuse of the "unique" Voter rules has occurred, GateHouse Media may disqualify votes cast by such Voters or Entrants, including if more than five (5) of such Voters or Entrants registered from the same residential computer "IP address".
Use of E-mail Addresses
By participating in the Voting Phase of the Contest, Voters agree to opt-in to receive e-mail communications from GateHouse Media or the Sponsors. If Voters choose to opt out of such future communications from GateHouse Media or the Sponsors, they will be able to do so by following the instructions on any electronic communications sent by GateHouse Media or the Sponsors. Upon opting-out, GateHouse Media or the Sponsors will no longer send e-mail messages to the Voter. A Voter’s choice to opt out will not affect any Votes cast in the Contest.
At the conclusion of the Voting Phase, the Finalist receiving the highest number of Votes will be declared the winning Photo. In the event of a tie, a random drawing among the tied Finalists will be conducted at the offices of the Publication to determine the winning Photo. The winning Photo will be announced on the Website by July 25, 2013. GateHouse Media reserves the right to take more time to determine the winning Photo as it deems necessary in its sole discretion.
PRIZE; ODDS OF WINNING
Prizes are based on availability and are subject to change.
Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible Photos submitted and eligible Votes received.
The potential Winner will be notified by phone or overnight mail in accordance with the contact information provided on the Entry Form, and will be subject to approval by GateHouse Media pending confirmation of each such potential Winner’s compliance with these Official Rules. The Winner must sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release in order to be eligible to accept the prize. The prize must be picked up by the Winner at the offices of the Publication or the Winner must make alternate arrangements with the Publication by July 30, 2013. The offices of the Publication are open Monday through Friday, 8:00a.m. until 5:00p.m. EST, and closed on Saturday and Sunday.
No substitution or transfer of the prize will be allowed, except at the sole discretion of GateHouse Media. GateHouse Media reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. All local, state and federal taxes incurred by accepting a prize will be the sole responsibility of the Winner. The prize has no cash value and may not be redeemed for cash at any time. No compensation will be given for lost, stolen, mutilated or expired gift cards or gift certificates. GateHouse Media is not responsible for replacing lost, stolen, mutilated or expired gift cards or gift certificates. Fulfillment of gift cards and gift certificates is the sole responsibility of the merchant, not GateHouse Media.
All decisions of GateHouse Media regarding the Contest are final.
By entering, Entrants agree to comply with these Official Rules and the decisions of GateHouse Media, which are binding and final, and release GateHouse Media, and each of its divisions, affiliates, parent companies, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies and anyone associated with the production of this Contest, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability for any claims, injuries, losses or damages (including attorneys fees) of any kind arising out of their participation in this Contest or resulting from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize. The potential prize winners waive the right to assert as a cost of winning the prize any and all costs of verification and redemption or travel to redeem said prize and waives any liability or claims (including attorneys fees) which might arise from redeeming or seeking to redeem said prize. In the event of non-compliance with these Official Rules, or if prize notification is returned to GateHouse Media as undeliverable, if prize is refused or cannot be accepted for any reason, the prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected in a random drawing. Upon forfeiture or refusal, no compensation will be given. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to use the winner's name, photograph, likeness, Contest submissions and/or statements attributed to winners regarding the Contest, for advertising and publicity purposes without further compensation or consent. All entries become the property of GateHouse Media. This Contest shall only be construed and evaluated according to the laws of the state of New York, without regard to the principles of conflicts of laws and submission of any entry constitutes acceptance of such laws. This Contest is void where prohibited. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
This Contest is not intended for gambling. If it is determined that an Entrant is using the Contest for gambling purposes, he/she will be disqualified and reported to authorities.
GateHouse Media and its affiliates reserve the right to use any and all information related to the Contest, including information on Entrants obtained through the Contest, for marketing purposes or any other purpose, unless prohibited by law.
GateHouse Media and their affiliates reserve the right to change the rules of the Contest at any time.
NAME OF WINNER
To obtain the name of the winner, contact the Publication at The Holland Sentinel.
Enterprise NewsMedia, LLC, Enterprise NewsMedia Holding, LLC, Enterprise Publishing Company, LLC, GateHouse Media Massachusetts I, Inc., GateHouse Media Massachusetts II, Inc., George W. Prescott Publishing Company, LLC, GateHouse Media Arkansas Holdings, Inc.
GateHouse Media California Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Colorado Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Connecticut Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Corning Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Delaware Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Freeport Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Illinois Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Illinois Holdings II, Inc., GateHouse Media Iowa Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Kansas Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Kansas Holdings II, Inc., GateHouse Media Louisiana Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Macomb Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Michigan Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Michigan Holdings II, Inc., GateHouse Media Minnesota Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Missouri Holdings, Inc.
GateHouse Media Missouri Holdings II, Inc., GateHouse Media Nebraska Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Nebraska Holdings II, Inc., GateHouse Media Nevada Holdings, Inc.
GateHouse Media New York Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media North Dakota Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Ohio Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Oklahoma Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Pennsylvania Holdings, Inc., GateHouse Media Suburban Newspapers, Inc., GateHouse Media Tennessee Holdings, Inc., Mineral Daily News Tribune, Inc., News Leader, Inc., Terry Newspapers, Inc., Copley Ohio Newspapers, Inc., The Peoria Journal Star, Inc., 350 WillowBrook Office Park, Fairport, New York 14450.